Ludlow was renamed from Stone Hill by Massachusetts Bay Colony Governor Thomas Hutchinson for reasons that are still unknown. Some guess that is was possibly after one of the founders of the Connecticut Colony Roger Ludow or after the town of Ludlow in England.
In the 19th Century, Ludlow grew significantly as a mill town. In 1868, the largest mill was opened and operated by the Ludlow Company (The Ludlow Clock Tower is depicted on the town seal). In the early 20th century Ludlow developed from a mill town into a streetcar suburb of Springfield, Massachusetts, with a trolley line running over the bridge from Indian Orchard.
No results found